Friday, January 06, 2006

Does visual media erode our faith?

I think it's vitally important what our home page is, because it sets the tone for our interaction on the web. Sure, I can choose to ignore my home page and often I skip right over Sacred Space on my way to news or other information. We're working toward making Wineskinsa great option for your home page, too.

MSN.com or other news and pop culture sites I've tried as home pages have not set the tone I want for my day. Consider this from Operation World Introduction:
The visual media have eroded the faith of believers in God's sovereignty in the world. Television cameramen . . . swoop on the wars, famines, disasters and tragedies of this world. The beautiful, wholesome and good is less photogenic, so what God does and what God's servants are achieving are rarely noticed. Like Elisha's servant (2 Kings 6) we need our eyes opened to see reality.
I removed a editorial simile from the Operation World quote because it unfairly caricatures media, and if you want to read the full quote, go to this page. While caveats and disclaimers ought to accompany such critique of media, there is a lot of truth to this, and it's a point about which few of us are aware.

Does visual media erode our faith in the sovereignty of God, of the goodness of what happens in the world? Or does it more appropriately make us aware and able to act on the injustices in the world?

No comments: