Tuesday, August 28, 2007

We Think We Know Jesus ....

... but do we?

I blogged about Jesus for a month. Visitors to my site dwindled. Comments shrank and grew fewer.

We think we know the Son of God, Lord and Savior, Master and Friend, Teacher and Rabbi.

But the more we look at Him, the more blurred and muddled our stereotypical picture of Him becomes.

He defies our analyses. He explodes our myths. He refuses to fit our boxes. He will not remain in our tombs.

He says things that provoke us. Things we cannot, try as we might, fully comprehend.

He speaks an eternal language, and though He simplifies with story, the complete meaning simply eludes us.

Even when He asks His closest friends who they think He is, most of them struggle.

One of them has help with the answer.

Can we ever be so confident that we know Him and what He would want us to do/not do/say/not say/live/not live that we no longer seek; no longer ask; no longer knock?

There has never been a time in my life when I felt like I knew all the answers about Jesus. I knew people who thought they did. I was flat-out jealous of them (and a little bit guilty for that envy). I honestly thought they might.

But I don't anymore.

If they had, they could have made billions writing books that would have outsold even Philip Yancey's The Jesus I Never Knew - and I'm pretty sure he's got a better grasp of the character, in many ways, than I do.

What are some things you were sure you knew about Jesus ... concepts that time has capsized and sunk?

1 comment:

Joel Spencer said...

Good stuff Keith. I'll be back.